Google
 
Web asimjalis.blogspot.com

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Todo List Insights

by Asim Jalis

The todo list should contain goals, not the steps to achieve them. It should define "what" not "how". It should present a picture of the world as it will be after the goal is achieved. Think of the todo list items as little tests. It should be easy to check whether a test passes (the goal has been achieved) or whether it fails (the goal has not been achieved). Here is an example of a bad todo list: [ ] buy watering can The question that arises here is why do I want to buy a watering can. To figure that out we apply the 5 Whys. I want to buy the watering can to water my backyard. I want to water my backyard because the grass is turning yellow and I want it to be green. I want the grass to be green because my neighbor's grass is green. The grass is always greener on the other side. So the real goal is: [ ] make grass as green as neighbor's The advantage of writing down ultimate goals instead of intermediate steps are: 1. Goals can suggest other solutions. Instead of buying a watering can I can buy a sprinkler. Or I could look for products that allow grass to stay green on less water. Or I could read about how to keep grass green without watering it. 2. Goals can be re-evaluated and re-prioritized. It's much harder to evaluate and prioritize tasks. Upon re-evaluating this goal it might occur to me that maybe I should just accept the grass as it is and wait for the rain in August. 3. Goals can only be checked off after they are achieved. Let's say I buy the watering can, check off the item on my todo list, and then forget about it for a week. That does not really help the grass very much. If instead I use a goal I am not able to check it off until I have solved the problem. 4. Goals are more fun. Goals are more like a game, or like play, than todo lists. Todo lists are like work. Todo lists are constraining. They prescribe too much. They constrain creativity and fun. Imagine a manager who defines for you the end-result and lets you figure out how to achieve it, and contrast him with a manager who tells you exactly what to do. Goal lists are like the first manager, and traditional todo lists are like the second one.