Google
 
Web asimjalis.blogspot.com

Monday, July 26, 2004

Turning Work Into Play

by Asim Jalis

One technique for turning work into play is to do the same action playfully. Yesterday when I was swimming it occurred to me that instead of treating swimming like work, why not treat it like play. So I started acting a little crazy. Instead of swimming straight I zig-zagged, then I started spinning like a dolphin, then I touched the floor of the pool. The space of things that can be done in a pool is so large it's amazing that I had trapped myself into a monotonous stroke all this time. And as I did this it turned from work into play and I had to drag myself out of the pool when I was done with my workout. Why is exercise called "working" out. Why not call it playing out? Why workout when you can playout?