Google
 
Web asimjalis.blogspot.com

Monday, July 26, 2004

Blog Thoughts

by Asim Jalis

Here is something interesting I am noticing. Almost all the Google queries to my site are either about real estate bubbles or about software interview questions. I would say about 95% of the queries are about these two topics. There is an 80/20 rule in operation here. Here are some possible explanations: 1. People are more interested in these topics than in the other ones I have written about, such as the value proposition, or entrepreneurship. 2. I rank much higher on these two topics for some reason than on others. Maybe there just aren't that many pages that talk about real estate bubbles and software interview questions. 3. These are the topics for which I have chosen the correct titles. My other articles have poor titles in the sense that Google has a hard time figuring out what they are about. There are two interacting factors here: the real world outside, and Google. Somehow these two topics seem to do well on both of them. So it follows then that if I write a blog on either of these topics it is more likely to be successful than if I write a blog on the other topics that I am interested in. Here is another thought. No one in his right mind talks about real estate bubbles. People in the real estate business want to send out the message that it is a tangible and safe investment. Even AdSense has a hard time selecting ads for real estate bubbles. There might be a real market opportunity here to be a real estate bear. Or a bear in general. Most analysts are bullish because bullishness sells more than bearishness. This leaves the bear position wide open. It's a dirty job being a bear and no one wants to do it. Which makes it perfect for someone like me who is willing to enter the market at the bottom and talk about the things no one wants to talk about. The disadvantage of this position is that it will be impossible to sell advertising or to get much money as a speaker. However, I could always sell myself as a person who is fair and balanced and not swayed by financial special interests. That might give me a credibility that the irrationally exuberant analyst might not have.