by Asim Jalis
1. The internet was hard to design (it did not happen earlier)
because the software architects charged wtih designing networked
communication systems assumed complete information was necessary.
2. The href style link is an innovation because it makes no
assumptions about the link. It does not assume that the link
exists, or that the browser knows or needs to know whether the
3. The less an application knows the more powerful it becomes.
Information and bandwidth are expensive. The internet is built on
the premise that you don't really need to know very much about
the rest of the network to play in it.
4. To be innovative look for innovations where you reduce the
features rather than increase them. The limits on software now
are not the ability to program or to think big or to do more, but
the ability to think small, or to do less.
5. Google is an example of this idea. The spartan interface wins
against much more feature-ful and bloated ones.
6. Google brings the power of the command line to people who are
7. To innovate, don't think of what more you can add, but think
instead of what can be removed. For example, why are all IDEs
GUI-based? Could a command line IDE be more powerful than