Google
 
Web asimjalis.blogspot.com

Friday, September 03, 2004

What If Play Turns Into Work

by Asim Jalis

I was doing origami during a break today. It's incredibly fun and relaxing. But then I thought: what if this was my job? What if I was being paid to do this, and I *had* to do this. What if my job was to invent new paper shapes. And as I imagined that it became less fun. So is the difference between work and play just how we approach it? There is certainly an element of this. I mean if we were not getting paid and our job was to write code for fun, if my office was a programming club, it would completely change the experience. So now the question is, how can we change the attitude? How can we pretend this is a programming club? What is the essense of the difference in motivation? How can that essense be replicated?